How is Osteoporosis Diagnosed?, Treated, Prevented, Diagnosed, Osteoporosis, how, test, DEXA Scan

Our accredited certification coursework complies with the cognitive guidelines of the AHA®/ECC, ILCOR, and OSHA for community and workplace requirements, although a hands-on component may be required for certain workplaces and situations.*

October 12, 2014 Health Articles
How is Osteoporosis Diagnosed?

If you have someone in your family who regularly goes to the doctor, you may have heard them talk about bone density tests. As an elderly man or woman, it is imperative that you seek the assistance of your family doctor to determine if you are at risk of developing osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a disease of the bones which is a result of an incredibly low amount of bone density mass. As your bones become more brittle, you are at a greater risk for incurring major injuries from minor accidents. With that being said, there are an ample amount of tests that can be used to determine whether you are developing (or have developed) osteoporosis, before you break a bone.

The Diagnosis Process

When you visit your doctor to determine whether you have developed osteoporosis, they will put you through a series of tests but the first step is to understand the diagnosis process.

First your doctor will explain what bone mineral density is so that you can sufficiently understand what osteoporosis can do to your bones. Approximately 80% of bone density will be determined by what you have inherited from your parents and the other 20% is based on lifestyle choices. With the use of a BMD (Bone Mineral Density) test, they will be able to determine how dense your bones are. For patients who have low bone density, they could have osteoporosis.

The second thing that your doctor will consider is your age. Generally patients are 50 years of age or older before they start showing significant signs of osteoporosis, though the human body reaches the peak age for bone density at 30 years of age.


As previously mentioned, there are a series of tests that your doctor can use to help determine whether you have osteoporosis or not.

1. DEXA Scan (Dual X-Ray Absorptiometry)

This is the most common test used by doctor around the world. Also referred to as DXA or DEXA, this method of testing will measure your total bone density, hip density, or spine density to determine if you are at risk for fractures.

2. Other Bone Mineral Density Tests

Aside from DEXA, there are other tests that your doctor can use to check the density of your bones. These tests generally require the use of ultrasounds or QCT (Quantitative Computed Tomography) tools. Depending on the testing method used, your scores for bone density may vary.

3. Blood Tests

When you begin the screening process your doctor will order a blood and urine test to determine the metabolism of your bones. This helps to determine how the osteoporosis is progressing.

4. Bone Densitometry

Much like an X-Ray, this method is quick and effective for measuring how dense your bones are.

For all services, please visit our Home Page.

What to read next:


CPR: The Life-Saving Symphony

11 January 2024

In the orchestra of medical emergencies, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) stands as a profound symphony –

cpr, sports, k-12, coach, instructor

CPR Certification for K-12 Sports Participants

28 September 2023

Obtaining a CPR Certification for K-12 Sports Participants Whether you’re an instructor, coach, student-athlete, or

Save up to 40% when you certify today!
The Smarter Way!
Select Your Course to Get Started

Share with your friends and help them